Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Is Cli-fi a new, hot genre? Yes!

Is Cli-fi the new, hot genre?


Hey everyone, there’s a new, exciting genre in town – Cli-fi.  Or – Climate change novels.
It seems I’ve been putting my Song of Forgetfulness Sci-fi/Dystopian series in the wrong category.
According to an article in The Guardian, the genre has been around for some time, possibly as early as 2003 with Margaret Atwood’s  The Year of the Flood and Oryx and Crake. 
51x0lppkh5l
Also, Ian McEwan’s novel Solar, is cli-fiso clearly not that new. You can read the full article here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/31/global-warning-rise-cli-fi
Having looked up some Cli-fi, I think the genre is a little vague and saturated by all sorts of dystopian, sc-fi, YA, romance…in short, a lot of authors seem to be using the term quite loosely. Which is a good thing, especially with a sub genre that isn’t too well known. Perhaps now is the time to promote this category to raise awareness of global warming and the fragility of our beautiful planet.
cli-fi
Until I read about Cli-fi in a post by Lisa Rowan, I’d never heard of it. Stupid me!  I mean all of my books in The Song Forgetfulness series deal with climate change and the effects it has on future generations as they struggle to survive in a hostile world. As well as a host of other things too numerous to mention here. Kind of exactly the definition of this ‘new’ genre.  Well, now I know.
Right, I ‘m off to Amazon to change my subheading and a category or two.
 If you want to have a look at my work and decide if it is indeed – Cli-fi – check out my new release – The Chronicles of Mayer, prologue to the series mentioned above.
MayerFront10.08plain_type_sml
Let’s start reading more Cli-fi folks!
Wishing you all a safe day, especially those people having to deal with Hurricane Harvey.

No comments: